My journey from a small town to the big city... Not how I drove here, but how I GOT here. A rambling, mish mash of observations of the big differences, and sometimes the small ones, too, of living in two completely different places...

Monday, March 28, 2011

What the fuh?!

My jeans don't fit today. And I can't seem to find the 'I'm not going to get rid of these yet just in case I gain some weight" pair. Oh, I have a few of the 'Just a couple more pounds to lose and I'll be able to get back into these'. But those aren't going to help me today.

Our foodie weekend started on Thursday evening. Sitting around the house, waiting and waiting for Alex to get here, CeCe and I decided to treat ourselves to supper. Not the kind that I usually make, which comes from a box or the freezer. An actual restaurant, with servers and drinks with exotic names and a multitude of food choices.

As you know, San Diego has many, many places to dine, which means that it usually takes the two of us quite awhile to decide where to eat. We both let the other suggest someplace, inwardly cringing when the choice is voiced, but politely agreeing that that would be okay. We do this dance for awhile until CeCe throws up her hands in disgust and tells me to just pick something! I suggest TGIFridays because they have had some awesome commercials for their seafood specials. Based on my last experience choosing a restaurant based on the commercials, I'm not too hopeful but am willing to give it a shot.

Have you been to a TGIFriday's during the NCAA tournament? Holy, it was so loud in there! We are sitting across from each other, in a booth, and practically have to shout our way through the meal. Again, deciding what to order becomes an issue because they have a bazillion items on the menu. I know that quantity does not necessarily mean quality and eventually narrow it down to a couple of appetizers.

I'm not going to drag this out as there were far better meals this weekend than this one. My chocolate martini was the best part. The stuffed potato skins were pretty good, the slider was dry and the deep fried green beans were interesting. Thank goodness for left overs as I knew I would have a hungry boy to feed later that night.

Alex arrived safely and was happy with the leftovers. He said he's over In & Out so we did not have to eat there at all this past weekend. That didn't hurt my feelings any as I am also over it.

Lunch on Friday was an experience, let me tell ya. We were talking Thursday night about options for lunch, because that's what we do, talk about food, and he mentioned fuh. I mean, pho. It's like the f-word without the c-k on the end. I mean, it's pronounced like that although after I saw the real deal pho, I could use that word to describe it as well, but I won't. This is a PG blog.

Pho is a Vietnamese speciality and since I was willing to expand my culinary horizons this weekend and try something new, we went in search of a place that serves fuh, I mean, pho. CeCe knew of an area around Kearney Mesa that had a lot of Asian restaurants and remembered seeing a sign for pho so that's where we headed. I already had lunch #2 planned out just in case this was a disaster.

I had a general idea what pho actually was. Broth, meat and noodles. Doesn't sound so bad, does it? But when the words fat and cartilage are used to describe the meat, I had already counted myself out. Broth and noodles, yes. Fatty meat, nope. I opted out of the pho, while Alex ordered a large bowl for himself. CeCe and I shared some noodle type dish with what was supposed to be chicken in it. I don't think it was really chicken but the water chestnuts were excellent!

Breakfast Saturday morning turned out to be a nice surprise. We didn't have any firm plans. I take that back. I had plans to sleep in, savor my coffee while I read the paper, relax a bit and then go to lunch. Alex had other ideas. A friend of his from back home (Derek) was in town visiting another friend of ours (Chase) and he wanted to get together with them sometime over the weekend. After a lot of back and forth text messages, we decided to meet in Encinitas at the Potato Shack, home of the man-hole cover sized pancakes.

No joke. If you think you've seen large pancakes, you really haven't seen large pancakes. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and since I didn't take a picture, I'll have to write a thousand words about the pancakes. These pancakes are a good 12 inches across and at least an inch and a half thick. I went for the good ole fashioned plain while Alex chose chocolate chip. Neither one of us came even close to finishing those buggers. As a matter of fact, none of the five us completed our meal. The portions are huge, the service was great but meeting up with people from back home was, you got it, priceless.

Lunch was the famous Taco El Gordos. Six for Alex, three each for me and CeCe. "Our regular guy", as CeCe put it, wasn't the one running the pork spit that day, so the tacos had a little extra zing to them this time. Again, they were amazing, and I'm telling you people, worth the trip to San Diego.

Sunday was a quick breakfast with my college friend and her family. It was great catching up on our lives. The meal sucked but what can ya say about Denny's. Hey, it was convenient, okay?

So, no Thai, no Greek, no amazing meal made by my Alex this weekend but I can cross Vietnamese off of my list. Not that it was ever on there in the first place. Since he won't be back until the fall, I won't have to explore the cuisine of other countries until then. Just good American food. Oh, and the crap I cook from a box or the freezer.

Now where the pho are my fat jeans?

No comments:

Post a Comment