My journey from a small town to the big city... Not how I drove here, but how I GOT here. A rambling, mish mash of observations of the big differences, and sometimes the small ones, too, of living in two completely different places...

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do you think anyone will read it?

After reading a friend's blog from back home (more on her later), I felt like maybe I might have something worth writing about. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. Ideas were flying through my brain, bouncing off each other, generating another new and better idea. I couldn't wait to do some research on how to go about writing a blog.

As excited as I was to get things started, doubt started pushing its way into my thoughts. Really, Laura? You fancy yourself a good enough writer that people are going to want to read what you have to say? Your life is that exciting in California? Remember, you post weather updates as your status on Facebook and your friends tend to get a little ticked off. What makes you think they want to hear about your glamorous life? Oh, if they only knew, I fired back. Yes, I'm talking to myself, although not loud enough for anybody to hear me.

A second opinon was definitely needed here. Enter CeCe (names have been changed to protect the innocent. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!). CeCe is the reason I am a small town girl living in the big city. She is the one who gets praised when things are going good here, which is the majority of the time and blamed when life sucks, which is ocassionally. I see a whole post devoted to her in the future, where a proper introduction will be made, but now, back to the whole "you're gonna write a blog?" idea...

When I get home from work, CeCe has plans, which I'm excited to hear because they involve a drive, some money, maybe an adult beverage, and a good time had by all. My wallet enjoys these little adventures, some days more than others, but for the most part, they are a good time. That's probably not enough information for you to figure out what those plans are...should I tell you now? Hmmm, I see an idea for a future post. You think about it and see if you are right, later on down the road.

Okay, the plans involve a drive, at which point I wait until it's my turn to share about my day. I tell her about the friend's blog and throw my idea at her, kind of quietly, thinking maybe if I don't share it out loud, it won't sound so CRAZY. She remembers my friend's blog (getting real tired of saying that, her name is Jessie, dang it and I'm going to put a link in so the rest of you can read it). Anywho, she remember's Jessie's blogs and did hear my whispered idea. I throw some possible subjects at her, which I'm not going to mention here as I know the suspense is probably killing you and I'd hate to give it all away in my first post. The subjects are met with enthusiasm, which leads to a discussion of more possible topics. Then the question...

Do you think anyone will read it?

The mother lode of all questions. The question that could make or break this creative outlet idea. The question that could tear my self esteem apart. The question that every writer asks themselves. No, I don't fancy myself a writer, but it fit here, so I'm keeping it. The question...

I look at her hopefully, waiting, holding my breath, knowing what she will say, if only to assuage my fears, soften the blow of what is sure to come, should I dare to publish for more than just her eyes. She turns, looks at me, and says "Of course, I'll read it. It will be great. I'm sure other people would like to read it, too."

It takes everything I have not to shout WHO ELSE, so I don't. I smile, tuck that good feeling away, and think about a title, font, pics, links, and all of the other little things that will enable me to actually do it...

I just breathed a big sigh of relief. The first post is in the can, so to speak, although saved for a second opinion, for now.

Link to Jessie's blog, my former student, my inspiration :)
http://veederranch.com/

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! And congratulations on taking the blogging journey. Keep at it with honesty, kindness and good humor and it will pay off in new friendships and connections from places you would never have expected. Oh, and post some pics of sunny CA for the frozen folks in the North!
    Love from the ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! honestly, there are days I go through the same thing...."Is anyone really reading my nonsense?!?!" Because sometimes I just type about what I would normally be speaking out loud about! Which I know is RANDOM, but it works for me. Its a great outlet. I have become pretty open about my life and things I love and strongly dislike. Yes there are times I wish I could blog about "the truth" in situations, but I just type that post out and then never actually post it. Therefore its off my chest, but not hurting feelings (I don't like doing that!)

    YOu picked the PERFECT blog to use as an example, she rocks my socks off! :) I don't miss a post and I won't on yours either! I listed it as one I am following on my blog...basically because.... YOU ROCK! and people will listen! LOVE YA and MISS YA BUNCHES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouraging words, my fellow bloggers! I've already got my next one ready to publish, just doing the 'teacher in me' fine tuning :) Jessie, will try to add some pics, at some point, of our gorgeous weather here although I don't want to make anybody jealous! Cass, thanks a million for your super positive attitude. I love your blog as well and will post a link to yours!

    ReplyDelete